Friday, October 26, 2007

DiVad's 80's MOVIE FLASHBACK MINI-REVIEW

Hey folks DiVad back again, this time with my first posting of "80's MOVIE FLASHBACK MINI- REVIEW" I have, like many others this addicting service called Netflix and recently I've been on 80's movie mode. (I guess it's the new Indy and the new Rambo, Transformers, G.I. Joe and God knows what other 80's franchise they are desperately trying to reinvent) Anyway, when old movies pop into my head that I used to love when i was a kid, I wonder, would this movie still hold up now? Maybe not the special effects but will it still be a good movie to watch now that I'm 27 yrs. old and did the whole "film school" thing? Well I've been renting a whole bunch of them online, big budget classics and those good ol' HBO/straight to video ones. Which one will I flashback too today? None other than what has to be George "bluescreen" Lucas' worst film his named ever appeared in......


"HOWARD THE DUCK" (1986)

Released in 1986, Universal Pictures big budget "epic" film is basically about a midget in a duck suit (but is really a talking sophisticated duck even though it looks like a midget in a duck suit) That gets beamed to Earth in some freak scientific experiment and has to get back home. Oh yea in the meantime: battle some evil alien stop-motion monsters, flee from stupid 80's cops in a bicycle plane with "Andy" (Tim Robbins), fall in love with "Marty McFly's" mom (Lea Thompson) and of course play kick-ass guitar while saving the world first.

The movie flopped... big time and is still today considered one of the classic bombs in recent memory. Now technically the movie is not that badly done for 1986. (Aside from that whole: "midget in a duck suit thing") It had 'big dog' ILM doing the stop- motion and matte paintings and a shit load of old school optical electricity and laser beam effects. Now used to love this movie when I was six or seven and my dad would always groan and make this disgusting face every time I told him to play the movie. I never understood why? Who didn't love Howard the Duck? Well I understand now my father's pain. I love me a good ol' fantasy flick but can you imagine being an adult when this movie came out and having to sit there and watch this with your kid? Bottom line: Not even Tim Robbins and the weirdo child molester principle from 'Ferris Buller's Day Off' can save this stinker of 80's cheese and I mean that in a bad way. (But It's still a movie to watch piss drunk and laugh) note: This movie is not on DVD yet I actually found someone who has a VHS copy so Netflix can't help here.

Don't belive me check out some clips below:


INTRO SCENE: (why?)


BAR FIGHT: (looks too good to be a "midget in a duck suit")


DINER ACTION!!! (check out the classic 80's Starwars old school optical electricity fx)

0 comments: