Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Alecc B. on "This Christmas"



When I first saw the trailer for This Christmas, I said to myself, "FUCK!" The reason behind me using such foul language was that I felt this film seemed very similar to a script my friend Darryll and I wrote. This made me upset, angry even. Hell, I was tornado of anger, swirling about. Then I saw Christmas.

After viewing this family film, I'm happy to say that there is only one thing in our script that needs to be changed, with the similarities ending there. Phew!

PLOT

The Whitfields always get together for Christmas. Everyone gathers at Ma Dear's house to be a family for at least once a year. But we all know that this Christmas will be different. Loaded with surprises, singing, dancing, and more dancing, this is one holiday film you don't wanna miss!! Did I sell you on it with that? THOUGHT SO!

ACTING

Chris Brown tries prove to us that he can act as well as sing and dance his ass off as Baby. For the most part, he is charming and definitely a better actor than Usher, but he does struggle with a couple of the more dramatic scenes. Loretta Devine plays Mama Whitfiled, otherwise referred to as Ma Dear. I never liked Devine. I feel that every movie she's in, she tries too hard and fails each time. As Ma Dear's man Joe, Delroy Lindo is as cool as he always is. Idris Elba plays the oldest brother Quentin. I've been seeing Elba more often these days, and I must say he's got the same cool factor as Lindo in this flick. Columbus Short plays Claude, another sibling who's also a marine. Short has a natural charisma that works well with the rest of the cast. Regina King plays one of the sisters, Lisa. King is always great to watch, but even more-so here. I have no idea when she developed her fantastic body, but she shows it off a couple of times here and I am grateful for it. As Lisa's husband Malcome, Laz Alonso has some fun playing a guy that still thinks the world is a place where your woman will do everything for you, including cutting your dinner meat. Sharon Leal plays another sister, Kelli, the sassy independent woman of today. Leal is sexy as all hell and has a few funny moments too. Mekhi Phifer plays Kelli's holiday crush, Gerald. They have a nice chemistry together. Lauren London plays the youngest sister Melanie. This girl is just too cute for words, and she can act, which helps. Keith Robinson plays her boyfriend Devean and has a couple of good moments to shine. All in all, the whole family feels like a real family, with the exception of the weak Devine. Special shout-out goes to a superstar on the rise, Tiana Soleil. She has performance near the end of the film with Brown and handled her business! BOOM!

WRITING & DIRECTING

The man behind the script and camera for This Christmas is Preston A. Whitmore II. The script is good for the most part. There are a ton of clichés that I could've done without though. Like the family member who is in trouble and gets bailed out at the right time. Or the family member with a big secret who thinks that the secret is best kept hidden but soon realizes otherwise. There are a few others, but you get the picture. The cast is really what saves the script.

As a director, Whitmore has some skill. Christmas is a good-looking film. The pacing is well done and the movie doesn't put you to sleep. The final scene is cute little rehash of an earlier one, only this time it needed some definite trimming.

This Christmas is a good family film. It's not great and doesn't bring anything new to the genre, but if you're looking for a lighthearted time at the movies, you should check it out.

Overall Review: **1/2stars

Best Line:

Phifer: I know you were pretty naughty last night, but Santa can't say it wasn't nice.

0 comments: